Add Giant Squid Lapel microphones and the Zoom H1 is just the recorder for all Your Life Story needs.
The Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder from Samson is the ideal recorder for our application of recording personal audio Life Stories. Recently I mentioned about the pending sale of the Zoom H1 and suggested that this could well be the ideal recorder for our situation or recording stories for our audio biographies.
This Episode 24 of Create Your Life Story has examples of audio recorded in various situation.
- Direct into the built in microphones
- Two person recording using stereo lapel microphones
- Solo recording using stereo and mono lapel microphones
First of all the Zoom H1 is not intended nor is it priced to match the high-end portable recorders like the Zoom H4n (I have the Zoom H4) so direct comparisons with it aren’t fair. The Zoom H1 is designed for a much more simple application of grabbing quality audio without fuss. That is the exact situation we have with recording audio Life Story conversations. We just want something that records and works, this is what the Zoom H1 succeeds at brilliantly.
With the addition of lapel microphones for ease and comfort during the recording we have a powerful, professional quality recording at a modest cost.
From the Samson site the features are:
- Stereo X/Y mic configuration captures perfect stereo images
- Records Broadcast WAV (BWF) at 96kHz/48kHz/44.1kHz at 16-bit or 24-bit
- Records MP3 from 48 to 320kbps for maximum recording time
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
- Built-in reference speaker
- Includes 2GB microSD memory card and one AA battery
- One AA size battery allows 10 hours operation
- Accommodates up to 32GB micro SDHC memory cards
- Track marker function
- Low cut filter
- Built-in tripod mount
- 1/8-inch external mic input
- 1/8-inch stereo line output
- Auto record level
The audio of the Zoom H1 in this episode has no post production adjustment to improve the sound. The quality of the audio for capturing voice is very good through the built in mics and with the addition of some quality external microphones as I suggest from Giant Squid Audio Labs you will have an even better recording and the ideal solution for recording your Life Story Project.
- Buy the Zoom H1 from Amazon on this link here
- If you’re in the US or Canada and are unable to use Amazon as is the issue here in Australia you can access the Zoom H1 at Zzounds.
- Additionally for those outside of the North America who can’t utilise these links, I sourced the Zoom H1 on eBay from a merchant in New Jersey. As this link is to the ever evolving eBay it may not be valid with time and you will need to search eBay to find a similar deal.
- To get the great lapel microphones, I recommend you talk to Darren at Giant Squid Audio Labs. Remember to mention that you came from Create Your Life Story when you order and he’ll throw in Free Shipping, that’s the sort of guy he is 🙂
- Do you think the Zoom H1 would suit your needs
- Do you want Lapel/Lav mics with it
- Go to the links above and buy your Zoom H1 and Lapel mic
- Get into recording when they arrive in a few days
Grab the e-Book Recording Life Stories now to help you understand the overall aspects of recording a Life Story and as I mentioned on this episode please remembering to fill out the initial survey to help me understand what you are after from Create Your Life Story. Just sign up for it in the side bar form.
Comment below and let us know your thoughts. Do you think this is the sort of recorder that would suit your needs?
… or send an email mentioning your thoughts to Chat@CreateYourLifeStory.com
To automatically receive this podcast freely to you, click on one of the iPhone image to the right or search in iTunes for “Create Your Life Story” or Subscribe freely in iTunes by Clicking here.
If you use another Podcast software Get the feed here.
Music is from
“Dizzy Does It”
from “Blue Room”
(Charleston Square Recordings)
Buy at iTunes Music Store
More On This Album